Program Agenda – Atlanta
Your Path to Surety Bonds: What Small Businesses Need to Know!
June 27, 2019
8:00 am – 1:00 pm EDT
Atlanta Technical College
The Dennard Conference Center
1560 Metropolitan Pkwy SW
Atlanta, GA 30310
|8:00 – 8:30 am||Participants Arrive – Check In|
|8:30 – 8:35 am||Welcoming Remarks & Program Overview|
|8:35 – 8:45 am||Small Contractor Success Story
A local small construction business will provide its story of obtaining financial and surety credit and building it resources network.
Anthony Hines, Owner, Final Touch Shoes
|8:45 – 10:00 am||75 Minutes on Bonding and Insurance
Various types and purposes of surety bonds and how small, emerging, and underserved contractors can begin the process of obtaining bonding. Construction accounting principles and financial systems that every small, emerging, and underserved contractor must know and adhere to for successful bonding relationships and business.
Katie Kleinschmidt, Vice President – Surety, USI Insurance Services
|10:00 – 10:30 am||30 Minutes on Banking & Finance
How to obtain a loan and business lines of credit, and establish a working relationship with a banker and access SBA loan programs.
Ray Pennie, President, Business Development, Access to Capital for Entrepreneurs
Tony Christopher, President and CEO, Georgia Certified Development Corporation
Alan Thomes, Managing Director of SBA Banking Cadence Bank
|10:30 – 10:35 am||Break/Mid-morning Networking|
|10:35 – 11:05 am||30 Minutes on Risk Management and Legal Concerns
Performance risk, construction law, contracting issues, including change orders and equitable contract price adjustments and remedies available to contractors involved in legal disputes.
Greg Veal; Bovis, Kyle, Burch, & Medlin, LLC
|11:05 – 11:20 pm||Federal Assistance Programs
SBA Surety Bond Guarantee Program and other SBA resources available to assist small, emerging and underserved businesses.
Earnest Knott, Area Director, SBA Surety Bond Guarantee Program
|11:20 – 11:50 am||Local Procurement Opportunities
The Federal procurement process, as well as ways that a small business can access state, local, and private contracting opportunities.
Andrew Smith, Georgia Tech Procurement Assistance Center
|11:50 – 12:00 pm||Other Resources
|12:00 – 12:10 pm||Producer Insights for Success|
|12:10 – 12:15 pm||Concluding Remarks: Wrap-Up/Additional Resources|
|12:15 – 1:00 pm||Network with a Surety Professional|
Join the U.S. Small Business Administration and the National Association of Surety Bond Producers for a half day seminar on securing contract surety bonds.
- Contract Bonding & Insurance…discussing the various types of surety bonds and the process of obtaining contract surety bonds
- Banking & Finance…how to obtain bank lines of credit and establish a working relationship with a banker to support your contract bonding program
- Risk Management & Legal Concerns…handling performance risk and contracting issues, plus available remedies for legal disputes
- Construction Accounting…construction accounting principles and financial systems for your firm’s success in securing and maintaining contract bonding
- Federal Assistance Programs…SBA’s Surety Bond Guarantee Program and loan programs for small, emerging, and under served businesses
- Local Procurement Opportunities…navigating the federal procurement process and accessing federal, state, local, and private contracting opportunities
- Networking with Surety Professionals…speak with presenters and other attendees, including agents available on site to assist you with applying for contract bonding